A national visa is a form of residence permit granted by the Slovak Republic, which entitles you to stay on the territory of the Slovak Republic. The national visa also entitles the holder to stay in the territory of other member states for a period of max. 90 days within any six-month period under the conditions set out in the Schengen Borders Code.
The applicant submits the application for the granting of a national visa in person at the representative office of the Slovak Republic in his country or at the territorially relevant representative office.
Documents required for the application
When applying for a national visa, the applicant submits (basic documents):
- application for the granting of a national visa on an official form;
- valid travel document (passport must be valid for at least 90 days after departure from Slovakia);
- a color photograph measuring 3 x 3.5 cm showing the current appearance of the applicant;
- a document confirming the purpose of the stay (e.g. a written notice from the police department on the granting of temporary or permanent residence, a decision on admission to study at a language school to the required extent, another document confirming that the issuance of a national visa is necessary to fulfill the obligations of the Slovak Republic arising from international treaties, or it is in the interest of the Slovak Republic);
- proof of health insurance for at least the period of validity of the national visa
Who can apply for a national visa?
A national of a third country may be granted a national visa if:
How long does it take to receive a decision on a visa application?
The representative office will decide on the application for the granting of a national visa within 30 days since its acceptance.
The representative office can grant a national visa only after the previous approval opinion of the Ministry of the Interior of the Slovak Republic.
Granting of a national visa
The national visa is granted for a stay longer than three months, maximum one year. A national visa may be granted
- for 90 days and two entries, if it concerns the granting of a national visa in connection with taking over the granted residence or submitting an application for residence in the Slovak Republic,
- for the duration of language education at a language school, no later than July 31 of the relevant school year,
- for the necessary time, if it concerns the granting of a national visa to a family member of an asylum seeker or a foreigner who has been granted supplementary protection,
- for the necessary time, if the granting of a national visa is for the fulfillment of the obligations of the Slovak Republic resulting from international treaties, or in the interest of the Slovak Republic.